Obstructive Sleep Apnea & Snoring Solutions
Houston | The Woodlands
IS SNORING SERIOUS?
It is estimated that anywhere from 6 to 50% of the adult population snores, although in general the prevalence may be around 25%. Rates of habitual snoring are higher in males, those with increase in body weight and obesity, smokers, asthmatics and after alcohol consumption. Rates of high blood pressure and heart disease appear higher in snorers as well.
It often forces the partner to leave the room and can cause discord in relationships. Snoring is not just a nuisance but a health hazard as well. Snoring is not normal and can be indicative of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Dr. Khetarpal is board-certified in Sleep Medicine and can help determine the cause of the blockage as well as determine the best course of treatment to help you breathe at night and get healthier, better rest.
TREATMENT APPROACHES TO SNORING
1. Weight loss in overweight individuals is critical in improving the condition and sometimes even reversing it in its entirety.
2. For some candidates, a customized oral appliance somewhat similar to a mouth guard can be used at night during sleep. Using an oral appliance, called OAT (oral appliance therapy) every night that advances the lower jaw forward and thereby the tongue forward and increases space in the back of the throat. This device is custom made for you after taking impressions of the teeth.
3. In office radiofrequency treatment under local anesthesia of the nasal valve, inferior turbinates, soft palate or base of tongue may be offered depending on the specific area of concern
4. In office injection snoreplasty under local anesthesia, in which an injection is made in the soft palate to stiffen it
5. We do not perform palate pillar procedure.